Administrative Support

The International Office assists students in administrative matters such as housing, banking and visa applications. After admission to the program, students will receive a comprehensive information package with detailed administrative information.

Housing: Bucerius does not have any on-campus or dormitory housing of its own. However, a limited number of apartments and rooms will be available on a sublet basis from Bucerius students leaving for their semester abroad in the fall. Rent varies greatly, ranging anywhere between EUR 300 and EUR 650 per month depending on size and location.

The International Office also reserves a limited number of rooms in several private dormitories administered by the Studierendenwerk Hamburg. Dormitory housing is usually more affordable than apartment housing, but unfortunately there are not enough places to accommodate all students.

In addition, Bucerius has worked out a cooperation agreement with City Wohnen, an agency offering interim housing contracts. The agency charges a commission fee, but Bucerius students receive a 15% discount on this fee.  

All contact data and additional information about the housing market in Hamburg, including neighborhood descriptions and the most common abbreviations found in accommodation ads, can be found on our intranet sites and in the Student Handbook. Accepted students will receive access to the intranet and a hard copy of the Handbook in May. More information about housing in Hamburg can also be found here (pdf)...

Visa: All non-EU citizens must obtain a student visa for any stay exceeding 3 months. EU citizens receive a certificate to prove their right to free mobility. If exchange students are NOT citizens of an EU member state, they should contact their local German consulate or embassy to determine whether an entrance visa is required to study in Germany. In this case students must apply for a visa in their home country before coming to Germany. If an entrance visa is not required, exchange students will apply for a student visa in Germany during the Orientation Program with the help of the International Office.  

More information about the visa requirements can be found here (pdf)...

Insurance: Proof of health insurance while in Germany is required for visa purposes. Students can purchase travel health insurance in their home country, ask their current provider whether their policy covers them abroad or purchase coverage through an affordable German insurance arranged by Bucerius. Coverage costs approximately EUR 30 per month.

Banking: It makes life much easier if students have a German bank account during their time at Bucerius. Although it is often not possible to open an account for a period of only 4 months, the International Office has made an arrangement with their house bank to allow exchange students to open an account and obtain a Euro check ("EC-") card (like a debit and ATM card). The account and EC-card will be ready and waiting when students arrive in Hamburg, sparing them the hassle of having to apply for an account on their own.

More information for parents