American Friends of Bucerius Law School, Inc. (AFB) is a non-profit organization that represents the interests of Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Germany, in the United States. AFB’s main objectives include:
- Promoting the international status of Bucerius Law School's legal education and research,
- Establishing and cultivating meaningful relationships with leading academics and practitioners in the field of law to develop networks and provide lasting support to the Law School, its mission and community,
- Fostering relationships with partner institutions, faculty, degree recipients in the U.S. and program alumni.
AFB acts as a liaison office in connecting Bucerius Law School to its North American interests. It serves as a first point of contact for students, researchers and faculty and promotes the Law School’s mission by providing a base for research collaborations, scholarly conferences and alumni relations. The Director of AFB reports to the Director of the International Office at Bucerius Law School and to the Board of AFB.
Bucerius Law School invites applications to fill the position at the American Friends of Bucerius Law School office in New York City (871 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017).
This is a full-time position with a contract limited to two years; an extension is possible. Applicants must be or become legally eligible to work in the United States.
Core responsibilities include:
- Management of AFB’s status as a Section 501(c)(3) organization, including all finance and reporting requirements,
- Higher education and research marketing: advising U.S. students and scholars about Bucerius study programs and research opportunities,
- Representation at recruiting events in the U.S. and support of online marketing efforts,
- Development and support of strategic relationships with universities, academic organizations, government agencies, businesses, NGOs and private foundations,
- Reinforcement of alumni relations in the U.S. and programming,
- Management and administration of communication channels and public relations, including social media, a website and regular newsletter,
- Event management,
- Networking and relationship-building: expanding access to scholars and decision-makers in higher education, as well as collaboration with other German institutions in New York, such as the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), German Research Foundation (DFG), German Center for Research and Innovation (GCRI).
The position will require travel within the U.S. and to Germany, as well as occasional evening and weekend hours.
Required qualifications and skills:
- an advanced degree (in an academic leadership or related field) or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- a minimum of three years’ work experience in higher education administration, international education or marketing/management; progressive leadership development preferred
- excellent knowledge of German and U.S. higher (legal) educational systems, including Bucerius Law School, preferably through personal experience
- excellent knowledge of MS-Office software products, content management systems and social media skills across a variety of current platforms
- exceptional communication and organizational skills; extreme attention to detail and ability to work both independently and as part of a team; proven experience in project management
- strong written and oral communication skills and experience delivering group presentations
- an excellent command of English and (at least) basic knowledge of German in oral and written form.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a cover letter, resume and salary history to Ms. Astrid Powl at Bucerius Law School, email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until 31 May 2017. The start date may be as early as 1 November 2017. Please direct any questions to Ms. Kasia Kwietniewska (kasia.kwietniewska(at)law-school.de).
Founded by the ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius, Bucerius Law School is an equal opportunity employer, values diversity and is committed to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment. The Bucerius community seeks professionally outstanding candidates who value its mission and share its commitment to educating outstanding individuals who are willing to place their expertise at society’s disposal and accept responsibility for others.