Student Services

It is the philosophy of Bucerius Law School, since its start in 2000, to provide our students with the highest level of administrative support possible. We do this so you can concentrate on the demanding curriculum, get to know your fellow students, enjoy and learn about Hamburg and simply make the most of your time here. Please "meet" some of the current students and alumni here to learn about their experience in Hamburg. 

Open doors and open ears: the MLB Support Team

After admission, you receive a package with detailed information on important things to think about prior to your arrival in Hamburg. In the meantime, we are happy to answer any questions you may have about practical issues, such as accommodation and visa applications, as well as academic issues. We will remain your contact persons for any questions or problems you experience during your time at Bucerius Law School.

Questions for our team?


Services A-Z


Even though finding an affordable student room or apartment in Hamburg is notoriously difficult, students of the Master of Law and Business need not be worried. Bucerius Law School actively helps you find accommodation. The earlier you apply, the easier it will be to find the kind of accommodation you are looking for. 

If you are organizing your housing individually, we strongly recommend that you finalize your arrangements by the middle of July at the latest since it's more difficult to contact landlords and make arrangements during the vacation season in July and August. Please note: Check whether the rent includes extra costs such as internet, electricity, water and gas consumption. Note: Every household needs to pay the mandatory monthly € 18,36 fee for the ARD ZDF Deutschlandfunk Beitragsservice, the contribution service for the public TV and radio stations. 

Housing options

There are several residence halls all over the city, some of which are run by the Studierendenwerk Hamburg and others by private landlords or organizations. Bucerius Law School reserves a limited number of rooms in the following residence halls, which are centrally-located with subway stops close by. Travel time to campus is approx. 15 minutes.

Berliner Tor

The Berliner Tor residence hall offers shared apartments  for 3-4 people. Each student has their own bedroom; kitchen and bathroom are shared. Bucerius Law School reserves 10 rooms for MLB students in this residence hall.

It's not possible to choose roommate(s) or to change or sublet the room. The MLB students will share an apartment with other international students. The rent is approx. €400/month including utilities and internet access. The deposit is €500. There is no age limit. Please note that the contract for the Berliner Tor residence hall is binding for the whole year, from September 1 until August 31, the next year. The housing contract cannot be cancelled unless the student decides to exmatriculate. Subletting is not allowed and a liability insurance is required.


In the Altona residence hall there are six one-person apartments and another two spots in two-person apartments available to MLB students.

Rent for a one-person apartment is approx. €430.
Rent for a two-person apartment is approx. €790.

The rent does not include electricity and internet. Costs for electricity depend on personal consumption. Electricty and internet should be around € 80 - 120 per month per person, and might rise due to the current energy situation. The students must take out their own contracts with electricity and internet providers. Rent includes an advance payment for water and heat, based on an assumed average consumption. The tenant’s actual consumption is calculated once or twice per year. If the actual consumption is higher than the assumed average consumption, the tenant will have to make an additional payment to cover the extra cost. If the actual consumption is lower than the assumed average consumption, the tenant will receive a reimbursement. Please calculate around € 150 extra costs to buy a new matress. 

The deposit is €500. Subletting is possible to an enrolled student with the consent of the MLB Team, on your own liabilty risk.

How to apply

If you are interested in renting a room/apartment in one of these residence halls, please inform our Admissions Officers Maite and Betty as soon as you have made your decision to attend Bucerius Law School. The rooms are allocated first come, first served.

Your information will be forwarded to the respective landlords and you will discuss any further details directly with them. The contract will be concluded between you and the landlord. Bucerius Law School is not party to the contract.

Other residence halls

While Bucerius Law School reserves rooms in the Berliner Tor and Altona residence halls, there are many other non-profit and for-profit residence halls in Hamburg to which you can apply independently.

Other options:

The MLB Team helps students find rooms with alumni or other friends of Bucerius Law School who rent rooms to MLB students every year. In some cases, new students may also be able to take over leases of alumni who are going to leave Hamburg right after graduation. This kind of accommodation varies from sharing an apartment with other students or young professionals to renting a room in a calm private residence.

Students are also encouraged to take a closer look at the Facebook group BLS Marketplace where Bucerius students, alumni and friends share information about subletting rooms, selling furniture etc.


Having a bank account with a German bank or a bank with branches in Germany will make your life much easier during your stay and will help you avoid unnecessary banking fees. We strongly recommend to open a bank account in Germany. Some student accounts are free of charge and landlords usually want to receive the rent via direct debit (SEPA) from a German account. Paying rent in cash or by credit card is uncommon.

Checking Account

Due to Bucerius Law School's special agreement with Deutsche Bank, Bucerius students can open a bank account immediately upon arrival. Usually, bank accounts can only be opened after city registration. We highly recommend checking bank fees and speaking to current students and alumni about their experience with different banks, including online banks. Once your bank account has been activated, you or others can transfer money into it and use it online.

If you intend to use your home bank account, please make sure that your credit card company or financial institution gives you access to ATMs in Germany. In any case, as all procedures take time, bring enough cash or your credit card to cover the expenses of the first couple of weeks in Hamburg.

Blocked Bank Account

Many German missions require students from non-EU countries to open a blocked bank account before applying for an entry visa. You will be asked to transfer a specific amount of money into the account, which is meant to cover your living expenses for your 12 months in Germany. Please calculate around 11,208 Euro for the duration of your studies. If you wish to open a blocked bank account, check out Coracle. The blocked bank account can be provided for EURO 59 and you will be able to purchase a statutory Barmer health insurance during enrolment as well as a prior travel insurance until the start of the studies if you are younger than 30 years. If you are older than 30 years, you can purchase the blocked bank account at EURO 99 without a health insurance.


Money Matters in Germany

What is the best way to handle your money during your studies in Germany? Can you stick with your international credit and debit cards or do you need to open a German bank account? What are the financial requirements to get a visa?

Read Article


German language courses

Bucerius has an agreement with the Colón Language Center, one of the oldest and largest language schools in Hamburg, which is conveniently located close to the campus. In accordance with this cooperation, you may participate in intensive German courses prior to the beginning of the program, for a reduced price.

More about tailor-made German courses for enrolled students under Soft Skills & Languages.


Having good insurance is important, as it can help you avoid unforeseen costs. It may even be a requirement for obtaining an entry visa or residence permit for Germany. If your own insurance doesn't cover you sufficiently, Bucerius Law School can help you obtain insurance which complies with the minimum requirements set by the German authorities.

Health Insurance

All students are required to have sufficient health insurance during their studies.

EU students should make sure they obtain a European Health Insurance Card before travelling to Germany.

In some cases, students from non-EU countries must provide proof that they have sufficient health insurance coverage for the entire duration of their stay in Germany in order to obtain an entry visa. To check, whether this requirement applies to you, please contact your local German mission. You are free to choose any insurance policy that fulfills the requirements of the German authorities.

Would you like us to take care of it?

If you would like to be covered by a German insurance company, we can take out an affordable health insurance for you, and, if necessary, provide you with documentary proof for your visa application. We can offer you two policies to choose from: a statutory insurance policy and a private insurance policy. Apart from one general practitioner practice, "Arztpraxis Eppendocs", you can search for English-speaking doctors here.

Insurance CompanyBarmer 

Premium < 30 years old

Premium > 30 years old

ca. EUR 135/month

ca. EUR 235/month

This insurance also covers your spouse and your children, should they accompany you, provided your spouse does not have a German employment contract. The Barmer insurance covers you within the EU as well as some other countries. 

As a rule, the insurance company debits the premium directly from your bank account. The doctor bills are sent directly to the insurance company. Please note that this insurance can only start on the day of enrolment. Only students younger than 30 years (on the day of enrolment) can take out this insurance. If you have already been insured in Germany under a public/statutory insurance and you are older than 30 years, your monthly payment will be around 235 Euro. 

Insurance CompanyAdvigon
Premiumca. EUR 65/month

This combined health, accident and liability insurance, covers you irrespective of your age but does not cover an accompanying spouse and/or children. It covers visits to the doctor if you are actually ill, but, in contrast to the statutory insurance by Barmer, it does not necessarily cover preventative care, like check-ups at the dentist or gynecologist.

The insurance company will debit the premium directly from your bank account. After the medical treatment you will be billed by the doctor or hospital and it is your responsibility to pay the bills on time. You must then forward the original bills, together with a short letter, to the insurance company who will reimburse you for the costs. The same goes for prescription medicine purchased at the pharmacy.

Liability insurance

Liability insurance covers you for accidental damages to other people’s property. This is particularly important if you live in rented accommodation.

If you damage anything, such as the sink or furniture, or if you lose your key, you are personally liable for the damages. This damage may be substantial; the replacement of damaged furniture or the replacement of all relevant locks after you have lost your key may cost you thousands of Euros. If you have liability insurance it will reimburse the claimant (e.g. landlord) for the damage.

Liability insurance for a single person costs around EUR 50 per year. 

Public transport ticket

Hamburg has an excellent public transport system which means that you will not need a car to get around.

All Bucerius Law School students receive a public transportation (HVV) ticket for all public transportation in Hamburg on the first day of orientation. The HVV ticket includes transport by metro, bus, night bus and ferries. The cost of the public transportation ticket is included in the tuition fees.

For more information on the public transport system in Hamburg, please refer to the HVV Website.

This ticket is not transferable to any other person and is valid only in combination with an ID. It is valid for one year.

Hamburg by bike

If you prefer to jump on a bicycle instead of taking the bus or the metro, you may be interested in  StadtRAD (City Bike), a bike-for-hire network that covers the whole inner city area. You can pick up a bike at one of the many hiring stations around town and drop it off at one near your destination.

The first 30 minutes are free of charge, which is usually enough time to get anywhere within the city center. After 30 minutes you pay by the minute. Alternatively you can also rent the bike for a whole day.

e-Scooter in Hamburg

You can rent numerous e-Scooters via Apps. Especially short distances can be covered quickly and easily. Click here for more information and differences between the providers.



Carsharing & Ridesharing

In addition to numerous car-sharing services such as Car2go and Drive Now, MOIA in Hamburg has also been offering a ridesharing service since 2019.



Visa and residence permit

Depending on your nationality you may need a visa and/or a residence permit to enter and stay in Germany. Contact the German embassy or consulate in your home country for the most up-to-date information. In the meantime, here's a summary of the most important facts.

Before travelling to Germany

Some nationalities require an entry visa, for which you need to apply before travelling to Germany. To check whether you need an entry visa, please refer to the website of the Federal Foreign Office of Germany.

In order to find out how to apply for the entry visa, please contact the German mission in your home country. Please note that, during the peak travel season, the process for obtaining an entry visa may take up to several months. You must, therefore, make sure to submit your application on time.

Applicants from China, India or Vietnam

In order to apply for an entry visa, you need to obtain the APS Certificate. This process can be begun before you submit your application to Bucerius Law School.

While you are here

EU and EEA citizens (including German nationals) are merely required to register with the municipal office of Hamburg upon their arrival. The registration fee is EUR 12. Registration appointments can be booked online here. A housing confirmation letter by the landlord is necessary, as well as your passport.

Most non-EU citizens, however, require a residence permit if they wish to stay in Germany for longer than three months, regardless of whether they need an entry visa. An appointment must be arranged right after your arrival as it takes sometimes a couple of months to be able to apply for the electronic residence parment ID Card, the cost will be approx. EUR 100. Booking can get started here. Please talk to the MLB Team if you need help in booking an appointment. 

Our Student Support Office will help you apply for the residence permit during the Orientation Program. They will assist you in filling out the forms, compiling the necessary documents and in making appointments with the authorities at the Hamburg Welcome Center. You will receive all the forms you need from Bucerius Law School in order to apply for the residence permit a couple of weeks before the start of the program. In addition, you need to make sure to bring a couple of documents with you to Germany:

  • a passport which is valid for the full duration of your stay
  • proof of sufficient financial resources (see details below),
  • proof of accommodation
  • proof of health insurance (see details below)
  • if you are being accompanied by your children: a birth certificate
  • if you are being accompanied by your spouse: a marriage certificate

Proof of financial resources

The German diplomatic mission in your home country as well as the respective Immigration Office in Hamburg require proof (original documents) that you have sufficient funds to meet your cost of living throughout the duration of your stay in Germany. Pursuant to the regulations of the Immigration Office, the following sources of funds (or a combination thereof) are acceptable:

  • Proof of personal savings
    An official original bank statement signed by a bank official certifying that you have sufficient funds for your living expenses in Germany. The amount certified needs to be approx. €10,332 (or, €861 per month). For the exact and most recent amount required, please contact your local German mission. Note that the German mission may ask you to open a blocked bank account to give proof of your financial resources.
  • Formal Obligation
    A formal statement from someone who is willing to support you during your stay in Germany (e.g. a parents or spouse). This Formal Obligation form is available at your local German missionand must be written and signed in front of a mission official. The person who is willing to support you will need to prove that s/he possesses sufficient funds by providing e.g. a salary statement or a tax declaration. The support amount needs to be approx. €10,332 (or, €861 per month). For the exact and most recent amount required, please contact your local German mission.
  • Proof of financial aid/scholarship
    An official and original letter specifying the amount and availability of funds. You may attach more than one document.

Proof of health insurance

In order to receive a Student Residence Permit, you must also provide proof that you have health insurance which covers you in Germany. You can find more information about health insurance in our section on Insurance.

After graduation

If you are planning to find work in Germany after graduation, you can apply for the so-called job-seeker's visa. The job-seeker's visa for graduates of German universities allows you to stay in Germany for up to 18 months for the purpose of finding a job. Please note that you must apply for this visa at the local foreigner office immediately after graduation. If you do not, you will have to apply at the German mission in your home country and will only be granted 6 months. More on post-graduation work and residence permits.

If you already have a signed work contract, you can also apply for a work permit right away.

For more information on working and living in Germany, please refer to the "Make it in Germany" website, a collaboration of the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy and the Federal Employment Office.


Join our mailing list and receive news about the Master of Law and Business, invitations to our events and timely reminders throughout the application cycle.