Exploring a company's lifecycle
The curriculum of the Bucerius Master of Law and Business is designed to illustrate the close relationship between legal and business issues in every stage of a company's lifecycle, which therefore serves as the structural backbone of the program.
The unique "lifecycle approach" ensures that, after one year, you are able to understand the legal and economic dimensions of the various stages of an enterprise including
- Realization of an entrepreneurial idea
- Founding of an enterprise
- Transformation of the enterprise into a publicly-held company
- Internationalization of a company
- Merger with or acquisition of another firm
- Restructuring of a firm with financial difficulties
The program takes a comparative approach, allowing you to understand the similarities and differences between different legal and business systems.
There are several ways in which students can specialize within the one-year curriculum, namely through the choice of the:
- elective modules
- 8-week internship
- topic of the Master's thesis
The Master of Law and Business also offers the possibility to obtain one of three official specializations which will be stated on the final diploma. These specializations are:
- Specialization in International Commercial Arbitration
- Specialization in Entrepreneurship
- Specialization in Legal Technology and Operations
Two degree options: LL.M. or MLB
Depending on their choice of modules, students will be awarded one of two possible degrees:
- Master of Law and Business (MLB) - available to all students
- Master of Laws (LLM) - available to students with a first degree in law
Regardless of the chosen track, students will follow various courses together as a group. This interdisciplinary way of learning enriches both classroom discussion and knowledge transfer.
Challenging perspectives: Studium generale
Bucerius Law School is committed to educating young professionals who look beyond their social and intellectual horizon. That is why, in addition to the academic curriculum, the program includes a Studium generale which covers topics other than law or business as well as a Social Project.
- Program Brochure 2018
- Academic Calendar 2018/19
"The Bucerius Master of Law and Business Program integrates business and legal studies by focusing on real-life case studies rather than mathematical or legal theories. This interdisciplinary and practice-oriented approach is a unique feature of the program."
Olga Voloshina '16,