Bucerius Law School’s Center for Transnational IP, Media and Technology Law and Policy held its third academic conference in October 2014. This conference tackled yet another critical topic in the field of Intellectual Property – enhancing and protecting brand value in the global marketplace. A number of internationally well-known scholars and practitioners spoke and moderated the conference.
Brands have never provided greater value, yet they have never been more vulnerable. Social media, new e-commerce platforms and globalized markets offer unprecedented opportunities for brand owners to nurture and grow their brands, but they also pose threats.
The most significant challenges to the reputation of brands are massive scale counterfeiting, including products that pose health and safety risks, controlling distribution channels and uncertain legal standards across jurisdictions.
This conference presented the latest legal developments in relevant jurisdictions, as well as strategic approaches to local and global programs designed to help brand owners grow their brands and neutralize threats to brand reputation.
- Strategies for brand protection in multi-jurisdictional infringement cases
- Secondary liability of e-commerce platforms
- Injunctions, seizures, in rem proceedings, seizures in transit zones
- New Chinese trademark law
- Use of administrative procedures in China
- Effective approaches to take-downs of infringing content from online platforms
- Use of criminal proceedings
- Use of customs
- New technological tools, including web trawling, monitoring, security packaging, online and mobile brand verification tools, counterfeiter “fingerprinting” analysis
Speakers and Moderators
- Dr. Paolo Beconcini (Carroll, Burdick & McDonough LLP)
- Professor Dr. Dana Beldiman (Bucerius Law School)
- Dr. Arndt Berger (eBay International AG)
- Dr. Stefan Dittmer (DLA Piper UK LLP)
- Dr. Martina Eberle (BASF SE)
- Dr. Burkhard Führmeyer (DLA Piper UK LLP)
- Marianne Grabrucker (former Presiding Judge at the Federal Patent Court Munich)
- Jean-Pierre Maeder (Nestlé S.A.; Troller Hitz Troller)
- Dr. Eun-Joo Min (World Intellectual Property Organization)
- Stefan Moritz (NetNames Germany)
- Dr. Kristoff M. Ritlewski (Bucerius IP Center; Harte-Bavendamm Rechtsanwälte)
- Dr. Peter Stiefel (Daimler AG)
- Professor Dr. Alexandra von Bismarck (Field Fisher Waterhouse LLP)
- Dr. Leopold von Gerlach (Hogan Lovells International LLP)