Student Services

Bucerius Law School is committed to providing its students with the highest possible level of administrative support. We do this so that you can concentrate on your studies, get to know your fellow students, enjoy the city and make the most of your time here.

International Office

We are your experts in all matters regarding study abroad and international exchange. We are here to support you before and during your stay at Bucerius. You can count on our expertise and experience with international students and the various issues that accompany a study abroad experience.

Practical issues

With your admission to one of the programs, you will receive a personal log in to access Bucerius’ intranet. There you will find extensive information on all academic and administrative matters.

Below we have gathered some administrative information on things you should think about before coming to Bucerius.

Finding a place to live in Hamburg

Bucerius does not have any on-campus or dormitory housing of its own. However, the campus is easily accessible by public transportation and the International Office actively assists you in finding suitable accommodation.

  • A limited number of apartments and rooms will be available on a sublet basis from Bucerius students leaving for their semester abroad in the summer and fall. Rent varies greatly, ranging anywhere between EUR 400 and EUR 750 per month depending on size and location. Admitted students will have access to these sublets at the beginning of June through Bucerius' intranet pages.
  • The International Office also reserves a limited number of rooms in a private dormitory administered by the Studierendenwerk Hamburg. Rooms will be assigned by the International Office, not the Studierendenwerk. Further information about the dorm rooms and the application process will be made available to all admitted students at the beginning of May. Dormitory housing is usually more affordable than apartment housing, but unfortunately there are not enough places to accommodate all students.
  • In addition, Bucerius provides lists with agencies offering interim housing contracts, such as City-Wohnen.

All contact data and additional information about the housing market in Hamburg, including neighborhood descriptions and the most common abbreviations found in accommodation ads, will be provided once you have been admitted to Bucerius Law School.


It makes life much easier if students have a German bank account during their time at Bucerius. Although it is often not possible to open an account for a period of only 4 months, the International Office has made an arrangement with their house bank to allow exchange students to open an account and obtain a Euro check ("EC-") card (like a debit and ATM card). The account and EC-card will be ready and waiting when students arrive in Hamburg, sparing them the hassle of having to apply for an account on their own.


Exploring Hamburg and its surroundings

Over the course of the program, a few afternoons will be kept open so that you can enjoy some time off campus and take advantage of extracurricular activities offered by the International Office.

Something for everybody

Hamburg has numerous museums, theaters, cafes, bars and clubs and sights to discover. Everybody will find something of interest here: You can cross the Old Elbe Tunnel, discover hidden pathways and cottages in the Treppenviertel in Blankenese or sink your toes in the sand in one of Hamburg's numerous beach clubs on the Elbe River. The city is very spread out and surprisingly green, thanks to an abundance of trees and parks scattered throughout the city. Just minutes away from the Bucerius campus is the beautiful Alster Lake. You can take a stroll or jog around the lake: With a circumference of 7.6 km (4.7 miles), you can complete the entire loop for a decent workout.

Free guided tours and excursions allow you to explore Hamburg, its museums and other sites of interest.


Proof of health insurance while in Germany is required for visa purposes. Students can purchase travel health insurance in their home country or ask their current provider whether their policy covers them abroad. Exchange Students or Visiting Students may also purchase coverage through an affordable German insurance arranged by Bucerius. Coverage costs approximately EUR 30 per month.

Getting around the city

Hamburg has an excellent public transport system which means that you will not need a car to get around.

HVV Ticket

It may be worth getting a monthly season ticket for the public transport system in Hamburg. The so-called HVV ticket includes transport by metro, bus, night bus and ferries. The cost of the public transportation ticket is about EUR 90 for three weeks.

For more information on the public transport system in Hamburg, please refer to the HVV Website.

Hamburg by bike

If you prefer to jump on a bicycle instead of taking the bus or the metro, you may be interested in StadtRAD (City Bike), a bike-for-hire network that covers the whole inner-city area. You can pick up a bike at one of the many hiring stations around town and drop it off at one near your destination.

The first 30 minutes are free of charge, which is usually enough time to get anywhere within the city center. After 30 minutes, you pay by the minute. Alternatively, you can rent a bike for a whole day.

Travelling to Germany

Depending on your nationality you may need a visa to enter Germany. Contact the German embassy or consulate in your home country for the most up-to-date information.

Who needs an entry visa?

EU Students

Citizens of EU counties do not need a visa to study in Germany, but will need to register their local address with the German authorities. If you are an EU citizen, we will simply fill out some paperwork together and collect your passport or European identity card (NOT your driver’s license) during the Orientation Program in order for you to complete the city registration. You will have your ID back in about two weeks.

Non-EU Students

All non-EU students must obtain a visa either before coming to Germany or once they are in Hamburg, depending on their citizenship.

Residence Permit

Citizens of Australia, Brazil, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Switzerland or the U.S. do not need to apply for a visa ahead of time. You will, however, need to obtain a residence permit once you are in Hamburg. The International Office will help you apply for the residence permit upon your arrival.

Entrance Visa

If you are a citizen of a country other than those listed above, please contact your local German consulate or embassy to determine whether you need an entrance visa. If this is the case, you must apply for an entrance visa in your home country before coming to Germany. Bucerius will provide the proof of admission required by the German authorities, but it is your responsibility to obtain the visa in a timely manner. This process usually takes several weeks.

The entrance visa is typically valid for 90 days only and must be extended once you are in Hamburg. Please be sure to make copies of all of the documents you submit to the embassy (e.g. the financial statement), as you will need these later to apply for your visa extension. The International Office can only help you with the extension of your entrance visa, not with the visa application itself.

"One of my best decisions during legal studies"

"The choice of Bucerius for an exchange program is probably one of my best decisions during legal studies. The curriculum offers an impressive number of subjects so everyone can easily find an interesting discipline to explore. Outside of the classroom, numerous excursions and trips were organized. I am extremely grateful to the International Office staff who assisted us at all times during the program. Everyone was very helpful and understanding, which made me feel welcome and appreciated. I was lucky to come to Hamburg!"
Antonina, Jagiellonian University, Exchange Program Alumna

International students welcome

Bucerius Law School grants all international students the same rights as German or EU students and offers all the services and assistance required by the National Code of Conduct on Foreign Students at German Universities.

More Information