Legal Technology and Operations
Understand the future of legal services
How do law firms of the future use technology and alternative providers to improve their services for clients? How can we use algorithms to predict court decisions? How can computer programs support lawyers in their daily work?
Combining the Master of Law and Business with a Bucerius Summer Program
If you are interested in technology and how it will influence the practice of law, and especially the practice of business law, in the future, combining the Master of Law and Business with the Bucerius Summer Program in Legal Technology and Operations is the perfect choice.
Spend part of the summer in Hamburg settling in and exploring how technological and organizational advances are reshaping the way we think about the law, provide access to justice and research legal knowledge. As in the Master of Law and Business Program, the Summer Program is taught by leading academics as well as practitioners, thereby enabling students to learn about legal technology from multiple perspectives.
Credits from the Summer Program are transferable to the Master of Law and Business Program and can replace the two mandatory electives (more on the program structure). This gives you the opportunity to either broaden your horizon even further by taking additional electives or by extending your mandatory internship during the master program.
Master of Law and Business students who are particularly interested in the emerging field of legal technology have the opportunity of combining the Master of Law and Business with the Bucerius Summer Program in Legal Technology and Operations.
- Master of Law and Business students who have completed the Summer Program in Legal Technology and Operations before the start of the Master of Law and Business can transfer the 10 ECTS from the Summer Program to the Master of Law and Business program. The 10 ECTS will be accepted in lieu of participation in the two obligatory electives
- Students who transfer the 10 ECTS can be awarded an MLB or LLM degree
- Students are free to take as many additional electives as they wish
Procedure for specialization degree
Students who wish to delve even more deeply into the topic of legal technology have the option of completing their degree with a "Specialization in Legal Technology".
Requirements for a degree with Specialization in Legal Technology:
- Completion of the Bucerius Summer Program in Legal Technology and Operations
- Transfer of the 10 Summer Program ECTS to the Master of Law and Business Program
- Completion of a 8-week internship in the field of legal technology
- Writing of the master's thesis on an interdisciplinary topic in the field of legal technology
How to apply
Students who are interested in combining the Master of Law and Business with the Summer Program in Legal Technology and Operations must apply as follows:
- Applicants must submit complete applications to both programs at the same time
- Applicants must make a note in BOTH applications that they wish to combine both programs
- Applicants who have already applied for the Master of Law and Business must apply to the Summer Program and notify Maite Schewe of their intent to do both programs
- Applicants who require a visa to study in Germany must apply for both programs by March 31
- Students who do not require a visa to study in Germany must apply for both programs by May 1
Candidates who have committed to participating in the Master of Law and Business by paying their €1,000 deposit, will receive a discount of 50% on the regular Summer Program tuition fee. This discount cannot be combined with any other tuition reductions for the Summer Program.
Admitted candidates may apply for financial aid for the Master of Law and Business.